Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hello, my name is Shannon Whiteway and today is my 24th Birthday! I am an intern for the Paralympics Military Program and love it! I am originally from Colorado Springs and just recently moved back from CA because my husband got out of the USMC. Within my internship I have had the opportunity to meet many great and inspiring people, all of which have added to my experience here.

* My husband Thomas and I, homecoming day 2008.




So far I have worked with Team Semper Fi on booking flights and the logistics of their events once a month. I have even been to each event that has been held across the country, which is such an awesome thing to watch these injured Marines overcome their injuries and participate in sport!


* TSF at the Air Force Academy, Jan 2010


In March I also headed to Vancouver for the Parlympic Games, which to say the least was memorable! I was actually a blind guide for the Executive Director of the Blind Veterans Association, Tom Miller. It was something I never had done before but by the end of the trip I felt like a pro. It also taught me not to take anything for granted because just being able to see is such a gift! While I was there we stayed in Vancouver and Whistler where we got to watch USA participate in Sledge Hockey, Biathlon, & Alpine Skiing.



* Tom Miller, Karen Guenther and I at the Olympic Flames in Vancouver.


My biggest task right now is working on the inaugural Warrior Games. I am responsible for the volunteer side of things for the games. I have been in contact with those who have offered to volunteer throughout the community, military bases and even other states! I am very excited for the turn out and I know that this will be a successful event for years to come because of the hard work that everyone is putting into it!
Overall this has been such an amazing time in my life and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment