Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tyler Warren
Colorado Springs: Strength and Conditioning








Let me start off by saying that Colorado as a whole is a beautiful state. If you are an outdoors type person, you will love it here. With that aside, my internship has been an amazing experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. The first day I got here I got unpacked and then set out to see the weight room where I would be spending the majority of my time.

While working here I have learned a lot of different things, including lifting technique, program design, coaching cues, and more. The Colorado Springs location is great in the sense that there are three coordinators here to help educate the interns. So far, I have been able to get the perspective of three different coaches with three different backgrounds. When starting out in this field, it is important to get a variety of information to understand different viewpoints. Not only is it nice to get quality information from several different sources, but I have also increased my network of professional contacts. All too often you hear it’s not what you know but who you know; this is something that does hold some truth and can be your friend or foe (so start networking if you haven’t already). I don’t want to get too detailed with this, but from a work standpoint, this is a great opportunity to gain experience in the field of Strength and Conditioning.


Luckily, I was paired up with a roommate who is practically like my little brother. I was worried that I would butt heads with whomever I would have to room with, but it turned out to be the exact opposite. For the most part, I get along really well with all of the interns and have enjoyed hiking as well as many other local outings with the group. One of the best experiences was snowboarding for the first time and shredding the nar nar. I’m pretty much awesome at snowboarding now.

What I have written here is only the tip of the iceberg. There are so many experiences that, if I were to elaborate on each, I could type for days. I tried to keep this blog short and sweet. If you have any questions or just want more information on what I have touched on, please feel free to contact me via email at tww0711@yahoo.com. I would be more than happy to exchange emails or chat on the phone about the experience as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment